Ensures reliable and safe use of medical equipment used for patient monitoring, imaging, diagnosis, and therapy. Analyzes and corrects problems associated with instrument operation and malfunction, trains user personnel on appropriate and safe use, performs scheduled calibration, maintenance, safety testing, and plans and coordinates medical equipment installation.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Associate's Degree (or) graduate of advanced military training in Biomedical Engineering.
- Valid Florida driver's license may be required depending on job assignment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Applies appropriate documenting evidence with the use of stickers or other means to indicate dates of medical equipment testing and performance characteristics.
Enters data into and issues reports from the medical equipment/medical communication systems management database on all medical equipment-related activity per accreditation requirements.
Identifies and reports abnormal conditions of medical equipment use that may interfere with patient safety or equipment longevity.
Instructs users in operating techniques, safety and application of medical equipment as needed.
Ensures all repaired medical equipment operates safely and according to manufacturer specifications and/or appropriate accreditation agencies.
Minimizes medical equipment downtime by determining when it is best to use vendor repair services.
Performs scheduled testing, calibration and maintenance.
Plans and ensures the orderly, safe and satisfactory installation of medical equipment through coordination with vendors, manufacturers and users.
Responds immediately to user requests to analyze and correct reported medical equipment failures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical or Electronic Engineering plus 4 years of experience in a hospital-based biomedical engineering or multi-hospital shared service program preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to follow verbal, written, and diagrammatic instructions, solve complex problems & file reports.
- Available for on-call as needed.
- Knowledge of computers (e.g., Microsoft Windows), printers, networking, and ability to learn software application(s).
- Knowledge of patient monitoring systems theory and design.
- Knowledge of Spanish helpful.
- Able to relate cooperatively and constructively with customers and co-workers.